Thursday, June 18, 2009

Hepl me choose the best loc method for the desired look

OK for my very 1st post I'll make this short and sweet. I simply want suggestion on how to choose the best loc look/ style/ design/ or what have you , for my hair. I know the obvious will be recommended, which is, to seek a professional consultant. But so many beautiful Sista's here have wonderful hair-stories that I thought it may be easier getting your opinions. So I'm putting myself out there to the universe. Help!
Maybe some background info is necessary, so here goes. My Big Chop was in 2005, long story short it was exactly like "Waiting to Exhale", same scenario, you get the picture. Cute and Curly was my m.o. for the entire 1st year. The years that followed, I became very busy (code for too lazy to do my own hair) and wore mostly micro braids and sew in weaves. Except of course when I was honestly too busy (and not lazy) and just threw on an entire wig (I still can't believe how nice my friends were about my "fake-ness").
Fast forward to the present, today I only wear my hair! Soft wet curls or dry blow outs and usually adorned with a headband, scarf, or flower. I've surpassed my point of liberation a long time ago and am very comfortable with my hair's abilities and inabilities. I slowly feel myself falling back into wanting a more acceptable hairstyle even though I know I will remain natural until I r.i.p.
What are some suggestions for my uneasiness? Just so you know, I'm very familiar with "hair journey" blogs here and would love to hear from you. What's really on my mind is... I want some type of locs but not anything that would leave my scalp showing much, because I love the volume my hair has, although its fairly short. And what is a "palm rolled loc, anyway?"

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for following my blog, I've added you as well. I'm not sure but I think starting with coils may be the best for you since you don't want a lot of scalp to show. But coils are also the hardest to start because they come loose easily with washing, until they start to mat up. But just like with any other technique, if it comes aloose just re-do and eventually the process will take hold. Palm rolling I think, is done when you have at least 3-4 inches of locs. (Not sure, don't quote me, LOL) But it's taking the loc in both hands like in prayer and moving one hand up and the other down at the same time and moving the hair in the same direction each time. From what I've seen on others, it makes beautiful cylindrical locs, but care has to be taken not to overdo. Over twisting can cause loc loss. But so can over latching.
    From looking at your hair in your pictures, your texture is beautiful and thick, and your locs will be gorgeous no matter what technique you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered Sisterlocks? It is a process, like all of the other methods, but it allows for easy washing and lots of versatility (not to say other methods don't allow this) just to name a few benefits. It can be a little pricey, but I looked at it as an investment in me. I have Sisterlocks, but will tell you with ANY method you will find yourself looking at EVERY LOCed head that you see. You will compare, wish you had done it this way (maybe), and so on. I am truly enjoying my hair. There are good days and bad days, but that is because I am ready for more length. I am sure you will make the best decision, but keep researching like you are doing now. You have nice THICK hair and you would really do well with any method in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kumina thanks so much for sending me a reply. I just realized I could actually leave you a comment too. I have setteled on a date and a loc-tician... but a final style hasn't been determined yet. The good news is I have narrowed it down to "SL's" or palm rolled locs. I have 10days before I get all locked up, and I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete